Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Mommy Wars Part 1: bottle vs boob

Ahhh....the old familiar face of self-righteous parenting rears its hiddeous head once more.

I discovered pregnancy and parenting forums three years ago when searching for solutions to teaching with severe "morning" sickness. I came across one, joined the birth board associated with the month I was due, and have participated in several online forums ever since.

Now that I am pregnant with baby #2, I am once again involved in a pregnancy forum for mothers due in June and the first "mommy war" broke out yesterday. This one was sparked by the seemingly innocuous question: Are you planning to breastfeed or bottle feed and why?

Hssssss........rrrrrr........*claws engaged*

It's not the "opinions" that bother me, it's how crazed people get over the choices of others. Of course, I have opinions regarding breastfeeding, but do not have the over-inflated sense of self-importance to consider telling other people that they are wrong because they have done things differently.

Yes, breast milk is superior nutritionally to formula, however it's not akin to giving your baby a bottle filled with Mountain Dew, which is how some of these crazed momzillas react to the notion of even supplementing one feeding a day with formula.

News flash----YOUR MILK SUPPLY WILL NOT DRY UP IF YOU SUPPLEMENT 1-2 X A DAY AFTER A REGULAR NURSING ROUTINE AND MILK SUPPLY IS ESTABLISHED!!!!!!

1 comment:

Kristen @ My Semi-Crunchy Life said...

Ah yes, the good old mommy wars. I've read a couple interesting posts on them lately.

I just can't see why anyone thinks that the decisions they make for *their* family are in any way the decisions I should make for *my* family. Live and let live, I say! If no ones getting hurt, then it isn't anyone else's concern.

Ah, I could write a whole post on it myself. Maybe I will ;)

Love your new blog! Can't wait for the next post.