Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Journey to Wellness

My recent posts have been very weight-focused and while I do have 30 lbs to lose in order to be the size I was before the pregnancy, I have also longed to be a more athletic person.  Eleven years ago I decided to become healthier by doing 4 things: (1) high-protein mostly vegan diet, (2) quit smoking cigarettes, (3) 30 minutes of cardio at the gym daily, (4) give up car commuting and walk to work and walk to bus stop for longer trips.  At the time, I was 120 lbs and within a month, I dropped 8 lbs and felt great.  Unfortunately, this was short-lived and I was quickly back to my bad habits.

When preparing to get pregnant for the first time 5 year ago, I made sure I had at least these 3 criteria for good health: (1) no cigarettes, (2) no drugs, (3) no drinking to excess.  These three healthy habits have remained in-tact ever since, but that isn't exactly difficult to do.  So at least I'm not a drug addicted, cigarette smoking drunk.  I guess that's something.

While trying to get pregnant, I also attempted to begin running.  I tried to run around the block and made it about 1/4 of the way and ended up coughing for hours.  I just assumed I was physically unable to run.  I now think it had more to do with going from zero activity to running.  Last March when I did the Shamrock Bridge Stride 6 months pregnant, I decided that next year I would do the 5K.  That gives me 6 months to get my lungs and heart ready. 

My long-term goal is to be in top physical condition by my 40th birthday.  That is 3 years away.  I'm taking steps to reach both the short-term and long term goals.  Here's my starting point...

Monday 60 minute Zumba class (cardio)
Tuesday C25K (cardio)
Wednesday 60 minute Step & Sculpt class (mixed cardio & strength training)
Thursday C25K (cardio)
Friday 60 minute Zumba class (cardio)
Saturday 30 minute Step class (cardio); 60 minute Power Sculpt class (strength training)
Sunday C25K (cardio); 60 minute yoga class (core balance & strength)

I plan to follow this regimen as closely as possible for 8 weeks.  At that time, I will be returning to work and will need to adjust my workout schedule. 

No comments: